[occi-wg] moving forward

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Wed May 27 07:33:33 CDT 2009

Andre Merzky wrote:
> > I would be very interested in what the OGF policy is here.
>
> OGF's policy is described at
> http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies.php.  Please let me
> know if you have more specific questions - I'm happy to
> forward those to the responsible OGF folks.

As I understand this document and your previous mail, the OGF position is
that it requires at a minimum pledges of RAND (Reasonable and
Non-Discriminatory) patent licensing:
http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/occi-wg/2009-May/000778.html

I strongly support Gary Mazz's reply at the time:
http://www.ogf.org/pipermail/occi-wg/2009-May/000779.html

We should make absolutely sure that OCCI either has no patent entanglement
or that all relevant intellectual property is available RF (Royalty-Free).

This is what we'd need to clarify with Sun or GoGrid before I'd be willing
to base OCCI from one of their APIs. With a royalty-free patent pledge, I'd
be happy to base it on either of them.

> > myself (ElasticHosts) - I'm happy to commit here and now. If OCCI wants to
> > build from the EH APIs then we will immediately license them under Create
> > Commons or any similar license. We have no patents covering our APIs, and
> > I'm willing to sign any royalty-free patent pledge that OCCI gives me.
>
> Richard,
>
> example IPR notices are at
> http://www.ogf.org/About/abt_policies_ipr.php.  Could you
> draft a similar statement and send it to office at ogf.org?

Absolutely - I will do that now and will cc: this list. I look forward to
Sun and GoGrid following suit!

Cheers,

Richard.