[occi-wg] Deadline for consensus [rant]

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Tue May 26 13:34:16 CDT 2009

Hi All,

There is an easy way around this issues that been brought up several
different ways and protects the user and the providers from RAND and
other instruments.

We can make OCCI transport and representation agnostic, which was
suggested early on. That requires a logical model definition and
selection of an implementation (a semantic model).  The OCCI ended up
with that exact structure for the specification. In fact, though the
hard work of Andy Edmonds, we even have a start for defacto
representation language of the OCCI logical model in XSD.

If, we re-evaluate transport and representation agnostic strategy for
OCCI, we can pick a "first implementation" with the knowledge we will
"need" other implementations in the near future. IMO, I do not believe
for one second we can get away with one implementation, not with the
recent trend in protocol adoption. Adopting this strategy does not
exclude providing bridges and gateways, more traditional works,  to
bridge technology gaps between OCCI and foreign systems, in fact
agnostic strategy may produce a more valuable technology.

Additionally, the adoption of a multi-protocol system that interchanges
cloud computing management, cloud computing configuration information
and cloud computing sevice (vm) life cycle control is probably fairly
unique in terms of technology.

The bottom line; is PICK ONE implementation, if we are not happy with
it, or the protocol fashion critics frown on the OCCI  for "not playing
in top of mind", we can always give it a face lift. Pick one, its a
interchange and management system.

IMO, there is only ONE big issue that affects the decision on which way
to go:  human usability/readability in native form.
If is is an ABSOLUTE requirement, go with atom. If not, some XML
representation.  Either way you WILL be representing the OCCI logical
model.

One more issue in my rant, on the issue of human usability/readability,
once you include links, the protocol is no longer "easily
interpretable". An example is the Widows registry: its human readable,
but try to read and find all the linked GUIDs. Its nearly impossible to
find them, human readable or not. Reading the OCCI will have the same
issues as reading the Windows registry.  Human usability/readability is
a pipe dream, at least without putting a lot of work into publishing
rules, which complicates implementations.

-gary