[occi-wg] Unlocking the formats deadlock

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Mon May 25 22:59:22 CDT 2009

What is the definition "reasonable" in terms of licensing ? What are the
hard costs ?

Patent licensing can be a significant obstacle to adoption.

Do you want students and universities sued for using OCCI technology ?
Do you want to pay someone else for the work you did here ?  Does your
companies want to pay a competitor for your contributions here ?

Look below to see what others considered "reasonable".

The OMA DRM (a standards like body) charged  $.35 per device with a
$566,000 cap. Intertrust another DRM scheme is $3.5m annually and
$325,000 per carrier. M$ graces us with only $2.9million and $625,000
per year for carriers.

Look at MP3 licensing rates from Thompson:

BTW, this means EVERYONE providing an open source mp3 player can be
prosecuted and sued for up to $15,000 and $5.00 per copy download plus
damages.

In other places on their website, Thompson demands 3% of "associated"
gross revenue from distributing content with an mp3 format.

Here is the web site for all of you that want to pay a fee for each mp3
player you have: http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/

This is pricing from Thompson's public web site:

-gary

Andre Merzky wrote:
> Quoting [Sam Johnston] (May 25 2009):
>
>>> 5. Sun Cloud API (CC licensed) ??? AE: Evaluate?
>>> 6. Amazon Web Services as ???de-facto??? (i.e. as Euc. and Nimbus have