[occi-wg] Events ?

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Tue May 19 06:16:56 CDT 2009

You've got it...

I do like the idea of long life messages and events. I think events will
be important just from the perspective of well know programming
practices. I personally don't see unix signals going away for a long
while.

Resources can change states for one reason or another. Networking and
storage (another network) are often victims of accidental switch
reconfigurations resulting in loss of connectivity to endpoints.

Configuration changes to resources outside the scope of the "active
state" in the "life cycle model" may need to be logged or corrective
action may be engaged.

Long life remote service dependencies are another area where events may
be appropriate. Normally, I would suggest the applications handle
occurrences between parties, but with migration as a normal
circumstance, it may be out of control and scope of the parties. Either
the infrastructure will handle a "pause for migration" event or the
container will tell the app which will tell the other party. Queuing (a
bridge) may be a way to avoid the issue as long as the service
parameters are not violated. But it may be out of scope for
interoperability.

Security or privilege revocation is another area. Hard execution breaks
due to user or admin control is still another area.

Polling may be inappropriate in many cases, driving up CPU loads and
network bandwidth consumption.

I'll get them on the wiki in the later AM... I'm gmt -7

-gary