[occi-wg] "Approachability" of API

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Mon May 18 04:22:10 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Richard Davies <
richard.davies at elastichosts.com> wrote:

> Sam Johnston wrote:
> > The reason we want a simple API is that it be approachable. It's easier
> > for people write to SMTP, HTTP, etc. because they can kick the tyres and
> > learn the ropes with telnet:
>
> I absolutely agree with this, but regard it as an argument in favour of
> POJ/POX over AtomPub.
>
> <snip>
>
> My feeling is that a POJ/POX rendering is a smaller amount of JSON/XML with
> less wrapping around it, and will be much easier for people to get to know
> by hand.

It's still something new though so you have that initial hurdle. By throwing
their weight behind it, Microsoft and Google have ensured that AtomPub will
be essential knowledge for cloud developers anyway.

IOW an AtomPub based protocol will be significantly easier to pick up than
anything you might concoct yourselves (and I say "you yourselves" because
it's overwhelmingly unlikely that I'll be playing a part in it for reasons
previously explained).

*AtomPub is already the HTTP of cloud computing IMO* - it just needs some
specification around search, caching, embedding, extension, etc. and it'll
be everything we'll ever need and (not much) more.