[occi-wg] "Approachability" of API

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu May 14 08:27:05 CDT 2009

Afternoon all,

The reason we want a simple API is that it be approachable. It's easier for
people write to SMTP, HTTP, etc. because they can kick the tyres and learn
the ropes with telnet:

*$ telnet www.google.com 80*
> Trying 209.85.227.103...
> Connected to www.l.google.com.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> *GET / HTTP/1.1*
> *Host: www.google.com*
>
> HTTP/1.1 302 Found
> Location: http://www.google.fr/
> <snip>

This is good, and a strong motivator for us to make it easy for implementors
to provide a text rendering.

That said it just dawned on me that with both Microsoft and Google (among
others) strategically backing AtomPub, it will be impossible to claim with a
straight face to be a cloud developer if you don't know it yourself. IOW,
cloud developers will already necessarily have exposure to, and in many
cases intimate knowledge of, AtomPub.

Regardless of how simple our simple protocol is, everyone's going to be
starting from scratch. Yet again oversimplification could well raise the
bar... we need to be as simple as possible but no more.

Whatever we do we need to make sure the very first step is as low as
possible.