[occi-wg] Networks: attributes and verbs

Tim Bray Tim.Bray at Sun.COM
Wed May 13 15:05:01 CDT 2009

On May 13, 2009, at 12:56 PM, Sam Johnston wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 4:53 PM, Ignacio Martin Llorente <llorente at dacya.ucm.es
> > wrote:
>
> I am preparing a proposal for  OCCI-API 1.0 that I will distribute
> when ready. I would like the first specification to be a
> simplification of previous discussions on the list in order to achieve
> an agreement on the core functionality to be provided by the API. In
> particular, the only "nound" would be the VM.
>
> But what if I want to use OCCI on a [virtual] network device or a
> storage system? You're making assumptions that deprive me of
> flexibility... all three nouns are first class citizens, yet none of
> them should be required (compute resources without storage or
> network, but probably not both, make perfect sense).

What Sam's saying seems sensible to me.   At Sun, our core minimum set
of nouns is VM, VM Template, Private network, public IP address, and
"cluster", a simple grouping mechanism.  I can't imagine constructing
anything useful with much less than that.  -Tim