[occi-wg] [llup] Re: Microsoft: "Atom Publishing Protocol (AtomPub) as the future direction"

Sylvain Hellegouarch sh at defuze.org
Wed May 13 02:53:47 CDT 2009

Hi All,

> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 9:42 AM, Alexis Richardson <
> alexis.richardson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> List this is OT but may be of just enough interest to those following
>> David's emails, that I am going to cc occi-wg.
>>
>> David,
>>
>> Check out: http://www.reversehttp.net/reverse-http-spec.html
>>
>> It's a way to make each node be a server and a client.  Built by one of
>> our
>> lot.
>>

> Interesting.  Given this conversation extended from one of Sylvain's
> posts,
> and given that Sylvain happens to be one of the editors on the LLUP
> specification, and given that LLUP -- at first glance, anyway -- seems to
> blend nicely with the reverse-http spec linked to above, and -- just to
> add
> one more layer of "given that" into the mix -- given that LLUP is built
> firmly on top of both Atom and AtomPub, I've CC'd the LLUP working group
> as
> well.
>
> For those of you wondering what LLUP is in reference to, see:
> http://dev.llup.org/ < I bring this up as depending on the use case, LLUP
> /could/ in various forms and capacities be used to manage messaging
> pub/sub
> workflows in a decentralized, heterogeneous cloud environment.  In fact,
> an
> interesting and related use case provided by Tim Lynch from Cornell
> University can be found @
> http://groups.google.com/group/llup/browse_thread/thread/76411666bb2e7542/8fd42070c72b6d62?#8fd42070c72b6d62

I wasn't aware of Reverse HTTP. It looks quite interesting and I'm
surprised we haven't heard more of it yet.

Just as reminder for those who didn't follow, LLUP is a simple messaging
format which focuses on making each message as stateless as possible while
carrying contextual information that would allow any recipient to consume,
interpret and perform intelligent actions on each message.

This is obviously particularly suited to the cloud since each node within
doesn't really need to know nor even care how the message arrived. It just
sees a message, deals with it and pushes another message to the cloud.
Like David said: decentralized, heterogeneous cloud environment.

In that context, Reverse HTTP is rather interesting to transport LLUP
messages since LLUP doesn't care about this aspect. As far as it goes you
could use HTTP, XMPP or pigeons. The only important aspect from LLUP's
perspective is the fact the message is in the cloud and some node will
pick it up.

- Sylvain
--
Sylvain Hellegouarch