[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Tim Bray Tim.Bray at Sun.COM
Tue May 12 15:23:32 CDT 2009

On May 12, 2009, at 1:02 PM, Sam Johnston wrote:

>  As I explained to someone who privately suggested ASN.1 as an
> alternative for OCCI, I'd rather remove my own testicles with a
> rusty spoon than do that again.

Sam is right.  The thing is, ASN.1 might have had a chance if there
were decent free tools.  One of the reasons XML succeeded so widely is
that there were multiple pretty-good open-source parsers available
even before XML 1.0 shipped.

> For JSON it's a lot less clear (at least for the famous enterprise
> users) due to the support, copyright, patent, etc. status
> surrounding third-party implementations. I know at least some of my
> clients have policies that would require developers to write the
> parser themselves - granted not a particularly difficult task but an
> unnecessary and error prone one.

We must live in different worlds.  The Java programmers I know are
like "Yeah, JSON, whatever", and for .NET, http://www.google.com/search?q=json%20.net
  turns up lots of stuff including from Microsoft's own Codeplex.
Javascript/Python/Ruby, no problem.  PHP I have no first-hand info,
but since half the Ajax-heavy sites in the planet are PHP-backed, I
can't imagine it's an issue.   -T