[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 12 15:02:35 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 6:01 PM, Tim Bray <Tim.Bray at sun.com> wrote:

> On May 12, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Chris Webb wrote:
>
>  A KEY VALUE parser is trivial to write.
>>
>> A JSON parser is fairly easy to write.
>>
>> An XML/Atom parser is a major undertaking.
>>
>> Those look like different amounts of code to me.
>>

> I don't buy this argument.  All of these parsers are routinely available to
> programmers in popular programming languages.  -Tim

I've certainly never written a parser where one was available, except for
some ASN.1 stuff where the key information I needed to extract from
certificates was concealed in the usual APIs. As I explained to someone who
privately suggested ASN.1 as an alternative for OCCI, I'd rather remove my
own testicles with a rusty spoon than do that again.

For XML we have native support in any language that matters. Even for
Atom[Pub] we have native support in Microsoft's libraries and a full blown
Apache Software Foundation project dedicated to the topic for Java. That's
good enough for pretty much everyone - in the worst case for the most secure
sites they'd end up making sense of Atom themselves using approved XML
libraries.

For JSON it's a lot less clear (at least for the famous enterprise users)
due to the support, copyright, patent, etc. status surrounding third-party
implementations. I know at least some of my clients have policies that would
require developers to write the parser themselves - granted not a
particularly difficult task but an unnecessary and error prone one.