[occi-wg] Simple JSON rendering for OCCI

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue May 12 08:44:16 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 3:34 PM, Chris Webb <chris.webb at elastichosts.com>wrote:

> Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> writes:
>
> > Right, obviously at least one format needs to be mandated and that format
> > should obviously be as widely supported and easily translated to others
> as
> > possible.
>
> Nobody will be able to write portable code using the formats you don't
> mandate. That's unfortunate if the only mandated rendering forces you to
> pull in tens of thousands of lines of library code...

Nobody ever said they would be able to... portability/interoperability are
very different requirements to convenience/integration. Just because clients
can't rely on support of a given format does not mean it shouldn't be
offered at all.

As but one example, scripting is a strong requirement that requires a text
rendering, but we all agree that a text rendering does not go far enough. By
that reasoning alone we need to support multiple formats, and this is but
another area where implementors can innovate without hurting
interoperability (for example by serving up a
XUL<https://developer.mozilla.org/En/XUL>rendering for Firefox users).