[occi-wg] Is OCCI the HTTP of Cloud Computing?

Randy Bias randyb at gogrid.com
Wed May 6 17:29:41 CDT 2009

Clone is dangerous.  Please define what you mean.  As far as I can tell
everyone means something difference.

For pass one I'd prefer to avoid verbs that aren't very specific, like
'stop'.  Heck, even with stop we have differences.

'Clone' is incredibly overloaded and has lots of expectations associated
with it.

--Randy

On 5/6/09 9:01 AM, "Tino Vazquez" <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I would like to see a clone verb (or maybe attribute, not sure about
> this) for drives, also maybe as an extension. I'm thinking on
> implementations sharing images using shared storage, this will allow
> to use those images directly, and obviously "cloning" set to "no" will
> make this image persistent automatically. What do you think?
>
> About the choice of format, as much as I like XML and Atom specially,
> I would advocate for the "simpler is nicer" principle is there is
> nothing that proves that it can do things that simple text or even
> JSON (from which I can see benefits for machine and human readibility)
> simply can´t, which also I haven't seen so far (Sam, please, correct
> me if I am wrong).
>
> Regards,
>
> -Tino
>
> --
> Constantino Vázquez, Grid Technology Engineer/Researcher:
> http://www.dsa-research.org/tinova
> DSA Research Group: http://dsa-research.org
> Globus GridWay Metascheduler: http://www.GridWay.org
> OpenNebula Virtual Infrastructure Engine: http://www.OpenNebula.org
>

> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM, Chris Webb <chris.webb at elastichosts.com>
> wrote:
>> Alexis Richardson <alexis.richardson at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Chris, if you think we have a choice to make please could you describe
>>> the options we have to choose from in more detail.
>>
>> I think Richard has just beaten me to it! However, more generally, I think
>> that before we can even have these discussions about formats, we should
>> confirm that we're all on the same page with regard to the semantic building
>> blocks:
>>
>>  http://forge.gridforum.org/sf/wiki/do/viewPage/projects.occi-wg/wiki/NounsVe
>> rbsAndAttributes
>>
>> I think Richard, Sam, Andy and I have all hacked at this page. Would anyone
>> else like to comment or is there general consensus around these basic nouns,
>> verbs and attributes?
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Chris.

Randy Bias, VP Technology Strategy, GoGrid
randyb at gogrid.com, (415) 939-8507 [mobile]
BLOG: http://neotactics.com/blog, TWITTER: twitter.com/randybias