[occi-wg] Templates (was Re: OCCI Dashboard)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sat Jun 27 19:48:45 CDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 10:37 PM, <shlomo.swidler at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 1:12 PM, Sam Johnston<samj at samj.net> wrote:
> > I'm thinking categories - we already have a category system that will
> handle
> > this well and can even have a dedicated vocabulary/schema for our
> > well-defined categories.
>
> Can you please point me to where categories are defined in the API,
> and how they are manipulated? I recall some posts about a query format
> along the lines of http://example.com/-/cat1/cat2 but I don't see that
> in the wiki anywhere.

The categories were derived from Atom so in dropping it for individual
resources we're going to have to reinvent it (think HTTP headers).

Categories are mostly useless for interoperability without a dedicated
> vocabulary/schema - I will want to ask every provider for a list of my
> "compute template" (or whatever the official label is) resources, and
> I can't do that if the label is not standardized by the spec.

The "templates" category is optional (in that you can reverse engineer it
from the verbs available) but it's definitely a nice to have, and there are
other categories that would be worth standardising too.

It's a non-trivial area though (think official templates vs shared templates
vs private templates) so we'll have to consider whether it's worth doing -
my main concern right now is getting something functional out the door ASAP
(the draft is already well overdue).

> And, does the API support adding my own tag to a resource I own, like
> tagging a specific compute resource "dbserver"?

Yes, and you can have your own schemes too - e.g. db vs web as distinct from
lax vs nyc.