[occi-wg] OCCI Dashboard

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Jun 25 09:31:55 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, <shlomo.swidler at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Similar to #2, but more generally: how can I, the OCCI consumer,
> know a-priori (without actually doing it) whether the drive that
> results from "image"ing an existing drive will be linkable (mountable)
> to my compute resources? Because some providers may produce a
> full-fledged drive as a result, and some may produce an unmountable
> "snapshot". Or, put even more generally, is there some
> meta-information I can probe at the OCCI API level to discover the
> noun/verb/attribute combinations that are supported by a particular
> implementation?

We do advertise verbs (e.g. start, stop, restart) via links, and if you do
something like a clone you'll discover the clone via the Location: header,
but the premise that you can link anything to anything is useful I think (in
the worst case you can throw an error).

I started thinking about attributes (e.g. state=ready vs state=offline) but
then you need rules which is not particularly RESTful... categories are
another option (e.g. a "mountable" category or similar).