[occi-wg] Storage Verbs (was Re: OCCI Dashboard)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Thu Jun 25 09:19:16 CDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 3:45 PM, <shlomo.swidler at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Amazon has distinct nouns for "Volumes" and "Snapshots". Amazon's
> snapshots are not mountable, you can only "copy"/"clone" (not sure
> which OCCI verb is the correct one here) an Amazon EBS snapshot into a
> new EBS drive. The OCCI API seems to imply that the result of the verb
> "image" on a drive yields another drive. So there may be a need to
> introduce either a new noun "drive snapshot" that is not linkable to
> any compute noun, or to otherwise differentiate between drives that
> are mountable and drives that are not mountable.

We plan to expose a basic set of well-defined nouns which implementors are
able to use in an interoperable fashion. This will include basic
functionality like clone (possibly with parameters like "full" vs "cow") but
things like "format", "check", "backup", etc. may or may not be specified.

Note that a "mount" is currently done by creating an association between a
compute and a storage resource (specifying the local identifier - eg "sda").
I can't think of a sensible way to advertise "mountability" (short of
throwing errors when it fails), and having an "attach" verb on storage
devices which accepts a compute device as a parameter feels fugly.