[occi-wg] Finished first pass over FeatureMatrix

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Sun Jun 14 17:20:26 CDT 2009

A cloud that supports persistent resources can easily emulate
ephemeral resources (just stop and immediately destroy the resource),
so should we give the persistent clouds credit for this "feature"?

On Jun 14, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Richard Davies wrote:

> One question - you've said that all public clouds lack enterprise
> features
> vs. VMware, etc. Is it worth adding a VMware column and exposing
> these extra
> features on a few new rows? I can see a few already (request signing,
> resource categories and search), but suspect there are others (e.g.
> role
> hierarchies?) and also that someone with a more enterprisey
> background would
> do better than me in adding these.

This is a pet peeve of mine, so I would be willing to do it. I added a
VMware column, but I don't feel comfortable adding rows unless there
is some consensus on what they should be. VMware has a lot of small
but IMO essential features that most clouds don't have (e.g. full
virtualization, shared block storage, thin provisioning, HA, VLANs,
reverse ARP, etc.) but it's not clear to me that we want the feature
matrix to get into that level of detail.

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org - http://felter.org/wesley/