[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Wes Felter wesley at felter.org
Sun Jun 14 15:44:09 CDT 2009

On Jun 14, 2009, at 6:35 AM, Gary Mazz wrote:

> Sam Johnston's timely IaaS feature matrix brings up some interesting
> issues, one in particular, what are the specific features that can be
> included in an IaaS.
>
> Many of the IaaS provider are also providing one or more operating
> systems while other are providing closer to bare metal. Is the OS part
> of the Infrastructure or  part of the Platform ?

IMO IaaS is about flexibility and thus should provide bare metal (or
virtual bare metal) so that customers can use any OS they choose. OVF
seems to require this, since an OVF image can contain any OS; thus if
your IaaS claims to support OVF then you should be able to run *any*
OVF image containing *any* OS. I think this also requires full
virtualization since paravirtualization is neither standardized nor
widespread.

IaaS providers can provide optional prebuilt OS images, but it
shouldn't be part of the infrastructure.

Wes Felter - wesley at felter.org - http://felter.org/wesley/