[occi-wg] Opinion Poll: IaaS or PaaS ?

Gary Mazz garymazzaferro at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 14:58:33 CDT 2009

Krishna Sankar (ksankar) wrote:
> Gary,
> 	Couple of points:
>
> |provider not offering those services. The OCCI cannot reconcile
> |providers with incompatible infrastructures. In this example, the OCCI
> |can only provide a vehicle  for the consumer to assess the capabilities
> |of a provider.
> <KS>	We only provide interfaces et al. But it is not binary - folks
> can offer a subset or superset of capabilities </KS>

Sorry, just me getting ahead of the pack... There is a procedural aspect
and best practices & techniques: "a how to guide". Someone/group will
have to do a base implementation at sometime. Look at the source code
provided by Sam Johnston..
> |Reiterating, I think we need to include more virtualized services and
> |virtualized hardware configurations.
> <KS>	I thought that is what we are doing ... because, underneath the
> instances can handle the specification in a multitude of ways and we are
> not prescriptive of any instantiation ... </KS>

Well, I am very uncomfortable by limited definition of IaaS
capabilities. Think I can go out on a limb and say everyone
participating in this group has the same intentions, yet details may be
different. My concern is a very "nuts 'n bolts" problem. We don't  have
anything nailed down in terms of capabilities and features translated to
hard attributes. Not yet anyway.

In the past I had advocated for pushing some items out of scope, but
after "hands on" evaluating different technologies, I've reconsidered my
position nearly 180 degrees. The reversal is due partly to the technical
feasibility of achieving interoperability and having a better
understanding of underlying technologies. For example, the MAC address
issue. I suggested that it should not be included as a core IaaS
feature. I also noticed a few providers required MAC addresses to be set
or top be provisioned. I though that was a little more than coincidental
and perused working with VMs that used/required MAC addressees.  After
working with different VMs (eventually focusing on xVM) that relied on
MAC addresses and other features, I reversed my position.  In this case,
the MAC attribute that seemed trivial, impacted the operation of the VM
with far reaching effects. We need to tread cautiously before we remove
attributes, services and other informations.

> |lemme get a few more cups of coffee...
> <KS>	Good idea ... am going to get some tea and will be back in a few
> ... too many discussions internally and externally on this ... need more
> juice ...</KS>

Yeah, but discussion is a way we can help get it right. :)