[occi-wg] OCCI Latest Draft

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Jul 7 17:13:09 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:36 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>wrote:

>  Maybe it matters less in the cloud where network interfaces are all
> virtual, and so it's easy to have more than one... however, in the
> physical world, you sometimes get subnets that are non-aggregatable
> (usually because you got additional allocation from ARIN/ISP/etc.), and
> you want to run things such that they all are on the same physical
> network.
>  In Linux-speak, this means you do something like:
>     ip addr  add 3.4.5.6/24 dev eth0
>     ip route add 1.2.3.0/24 dev eth0

Actually now that you mention it I did similar things in a former life as a
sysadmin... I'd written a kernel module for network
quotas<http://svn.netfilter.org/netfilter/branches/patch-o-matic-ng/linux-2.6.11/quota/linux-2.6/net/ipv4/netfilter/ipt_quota.c>and
some of the sites had overlapping subnets for admin vs student
machines.

So we'll leave it there for now in case someone wants to conduct similar
(virtual) evil.