[occi-wg] OCCI Latest Draft

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Tue Jul 7 16:36:48 CDT 2009

    >> Ah, got it. The [] designation just indicates that the
    >> occi.network.ipv4 element represents a collection. The specific
    >> addressing mechanism for elements in the collection is
    >> rendering-specific.
    >>

    Sam> Yeah, why anyone would want two subnets on the same segment I'm
    Sam> not really sure, but I've seen it done and it doesn't cost much
    Sam> to support.

  Maybe it matters less in the cloud where network interfaces are all
virtual, and so it's easy to have more than one... however, in the
physical world, you sometimes get subnets that are non-aggregatable
(usually because you got additional allocation from ARIN/ISP/etc.), and
you want to run things such that they all are on the same physical
network.
  In Linux-speak, this means you do something like:
     ip addr  add 3.4.5.6/24 dev eth0
     ip route add 1.2.3.0/24 dev eth0

  You can do similar things on *BSD, and Windows seems to do this by
mistake regularly.  If you don't do this, then you wind up going through
your router, which probably has multiple aliases on the two subnets, but
that may cost you performance, and it may also cost you bandwidth charges.

--
]     Y'avait une poule de jammé dans l'muffler!!!!!!!!!        |  firewalls  [
] mcr at sandelman.ottawa.on.ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[