[occi-wg] OCCI Latest Draft

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Jul 7 05:19:40 CDT 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 7:13 AM, Adrian Cole <adrian at jclouds.org> wrote:

> Very clear document.  Thanks for getting this together.

No problem - I'll be working on it all week with a view to having something
to show next week so now's the time to give feedback and/or get involved.

> I noticed that the storage noun is related to mountable storage.   Forgive
> me, if I missed the discussion.  What is the status of object storage (ex.
> Amazon S3)?  I'm currently working on cloud object storage interop in
> jclouds.  I'd expect something like the following, if we aren't deferring
> this service to extensions:
>
> <snip>
>
> What are your thoughts?

Object storage (databases), queues and other programmer constructs are not
what I would consider cloud infrastrucutre services (IaaS), rather cloud
platform services (PaaS) and as such out of scope *for now*.

That said, you'll see that I have meticulously separated generic
requirements into the OCCI Core profile (with the exception of a few
examples) and am keeping all the IaaS stuff in the OCCI Infrastructure
profile (which you'll see are actually separate DocBook
"article<http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/article.html>
"s).

That way, if you want to expose other resources (platforms, applications or
even things like contacts, calendar entries, etc.) then you can always do so
on top of OCCI Core. It also paves the way for us to create an OCCI Platform
profile once we're done with IaaS - I'm already thinking about how this
might look...