[occi-wg] Cloud computing API specification

Peter Cotroneo Peter.Cotroneo at ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Thu Dec 3 05:13:23 CST 2009

Hi,

I'm new to the occi-wg; please pardon me if this message is not
appropriate for the group.  I've been working with Amazon Web Services
(AWS) for the past several months, and am currently architecting a
web-mapping application that will be deployed in the Amazon cloud.  In
my opinion, the AWS APIs and various browser plug-ins/extensions suffice
for small deployments.  However, for multiple, large deployments
consisting of clusters of load balanced EC2 instances (with attached EBS
volumes, S3 backups, etc.) administration becomes a challenging if not a
daunting task using these tools.  I believe that an abstraction layer
around AWS is necessary to facilitate monitoring and administration.

I understand that your group is working on a generic cloud computing API
specification.  I would appreciate if someone could point me to where
that is.  If applicable, we may be able to implement it fairly quickly.
In any case, I would like to begin participating in your group.

Also, I'm curious if there has been participation from anyone
representing the UK government's "G-Cloud" initiative, which was
announced this past June in the Digital Britain report...

Cheers,

Peter Cotroneo

IS Solutions Architect

Ordnance Survey

This email is only intended for the person to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete this email which must not be copied, distributed or disclosed to any other person.

Unless stated otherwise, the contents of this email are personal to the writer and do not represent the official view of Ordnance Survey. Nor can any contract be formed on Ordnance Survey's behalf via email. We reserve the right to monitor emails and attachments without prior notice.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ordnance Survey
Romsey Road
Southampton SO16 4GU