[occi-wg] OCCI Security

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Aug 28 01:51:49 CDT 2009

Michael,

The plan is to follow Sun's example in relying on HTTP authentication
mechanisms (e.g. basic, digest, certificates) and possibly OAuth for
authentication rather than doing request signing. Signing is mostly useful
where you need to generate signed requests for untrusted clients - for
example a URL to download an eBook from S3 - and writing your own signing
mechanisms can be dangerous (as proven by Amazon's request signing
vulnerability).

This is of course open to discussion but I think it is best to avoid
imposing our wishes on clients in this regard - some sites may not be able
to use encryption (nor want to for performance reasons) and others may
require policy compliance in the form of e.g. kerberos support.

Sam