[occi-wg] vCloud architecture diagrams

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Sat Apr 25 12:42:20 CDT 2009

I think one of the big things within presentation is the usage of OVF and its status as a “1st class citizen” in their API (no surprises considering Vmware along with others proposed it). From looking at the specification, I’ve found it to be quite comprehensive and extensible for forming an infrastructure model that you can request to be provisioned. Now there are some weaknesses (I made some note of this here [1] and Lori MacVittie[2] had some stronger opinions) but I believe there is an OVF2.0 spec in draft. Certainly sounds like they’re using the semantics of REST and using OVF as the XML schema as the body of requests. The nouns will be quite aligned to the Sun Cloud API but with their (VMware) model based on a standardised DMTF schema. Their “VApp” is most likely a VirtualSystem and their “VDCs” & “Organizations” are represented by VirtualSystemCollections in various configurations. What would be interesting to know (but so much to this mailing lists goals) is what schemas they use to pass about  on the message bus.

On another note, I looked through Abiquo [3] code yesterday and found it to be chock-a-block with DMTF schemas, OVF being one.

Andy.

[1] http://sla-at-soi.eu/?p=403
[2] http://www.infra20.com/post.cfm/ovf-a-few-layers-short-of-a-full-stack
[3] http://www.abiquo.com