[occi-wg] vCloud architecture diagrams

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sat Apr 25 09:49:10 CDT 2009

This is (unsurprisingly) really raising the bar. FWIW I'm not one of the
people who's seen the API so it's interesting to see they too went for OVF
over a REST based API... it seems that OVF is in fact at the heart of this
protocol (or is it vice versa?). That may or may not be a good thing.

Object model looks like this (courtesy pp59):

   - Organisation
      - Virtual Data Center (VDC)
         - vApp (multiple VMs, "internal" network, n-tier app in a box)

Other observations:

   - Flexible networking (like ours) - multiple tagged networks ("foo",
   "bar", "VDCnet", "Public", "Private")
   - Persistent VMs (we want to allow for both)
   - SLA on vApp (to be implemented as an extension)
   - Overprovisioning (interesting area, from user PoV means hiding size of
   storage pools, etc. which most providers will want to do anyway)
   - Both serialization and configuration via OVF
   - Talk about scaling to 10k hosts and 100k VMs
   - "HTTP based resource oriented interface" (just like OCCI!)
   - "All the characteristics of the WWW
   • Extensible without breaking client. (like OCCI)
   • Client only has to know about what it cares about. (like OCCI)
   • Can route, proxy, cache <- interesting, useful, can be difficult to
   achieve
   - Interestingly uses Spring
Framework<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spring_Framework>
      - Injects dependencies and wires together Spring beans
      - Forces programmer into maintainable design pattern; isolates
      dependencies
   - OSGI: Standard dynamic module framework (Global registry of interfaces
   to instances - Dynamically load, unload, start, stop bundle)... not sure how
   interesting this is really
   - JMS publish/subscribe messaging bus isolates end points (message buses
   will be a key component of most successful cloud architectures IMO -
   something to consider when we're talking about formatting)
   - Hibernate simplifies DB code & DB independence

The actual VMware architecture (pp76) I found less interesting because it
varies from provider to provider and is the detail that the cloud conceals
from end users.

Sam