[occi-wg] Instance runtime API

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Tue Apr 21 02:25:44 CDT 2009

Randy,

You may well be right, but this should be a concern for implementors rather
than users - if I remember well there are virtualisation systems (UML?) that
rely on PPP style links and therefore lack MAC addresses. The key point is
that as a user I want to know that any attributes I set via the client
interface can only be seen by the machine as details like database
credentials are likely to be sensitive. For this there should be no need to
discover any credentials, rather just connect and ask away.

I've done some work around having machines generate a public key pair during
birth and then encrypting config info to them, but this is something that
can be strapped on later in high security environments if it's deemed
necessary - and in any case the machine being able to write its key pair
into OCCI would be advantageous (and transparent with what is proposed).

Sam