[occi-wg] Instance runtime API

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Mon Apr 20 05:51:39 CDT 2009

Inline...

<snip>

Are we considering the API around the interactions taking place
between a running instance and the cloud?

[AE: ] we need to be wary here - when speaking of "cloud" contextualise it - in OCCI's case it's cloud infrastructure - bottom most layer.

 I mean by that two types of
interactions:
1- Hooks required at the end of the boot sequence to bootstrap the
connection between a specific image instance and its cloud context.

[AE: ] The OVF format allows for this in its specification

2- The interface with the cloud environment to retrieve instance
information such as hostname (private and public), instance specific
user-data, etc.

[AE: ] This is outside the remit of OCCI. It's an internal concern of the provider's network ops and IP address management. Retrieval of user data might be seen as a concern within the platform layer.

I realise that this is heavily influenced by my work using EC2.  The
goal would be to improve images interoperability between clouds,
setting aside for the moment the virtualisation technology used (which
also bring other issues...).

Comments?

Cheers,

Meb