[occi-wg] Resource Types: Compute / Network / Storage

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Apr 19 11:52:27 CDT 2009

One recent post by one analyst which concedes that it's a "*problematic
term, perhaps, because a few of the vendors employ it towards different ends
*" isn't reason enough to scuttle it (which has been in fairly widespread
use for well over a
decade<http://www.dominopower.com/issuesprint/issue199810/fabric.html>),
especially in the absence of an alternative proposal. Appistry have dropped
the term and Microsoft's Azure is now a "Services
Platform<http://www.microsoft.com/azure/default.mspx>"
(someone's dyslexic perhaps), even if they still use fabric sporadically
with developers.

This is what Cisco have to say about Unified
Fabrics<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns945/index.html>
:

> *
>
> The typical data center environment supports two to three parallel
> networks: one for data, one for storage, and possibly one for server
> clustering. In addition, servers often have dedicated interfaces for
> management, backup, or virtual machine live migration. Supporting these
> interfaces imposes significant costs related to interfaces, cabling, rack
> space, upstream switches, and power and cooling.
>
> Unified fabric consolidates these different types of traffic onto a single,
> general-purpose, high-performance, highly available network that greatly
> simplifies the network infrastructure and reduces costs. To do all this, a
> unified fabric must be intelligent enough to identify the different types of
> traffic and handle them appropriately.
>
> In addition to reducing total cost of ownership, unified fabric supports
> broader data center virtualization by providing consistent, ubiquitous
> network and storage services to all connected devices.
> *

I'd like to see us get some clarity here one way or another because it's a
source of significant confusion (if we can't get it right between us then
what are customers meant to think?).

Sam