[occi-wg] OCCI MC - State Machine Diagram

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Sun Apr 19 06:10:32 CDT 2009

On Sun, Apr 19, 2009 at 12:16 PM, Ignacio Martin Llorente <
llorente at dacya.ucm.es> wrote:

> I am not sure what is the state of this discussion, but I would like to
> support the addition of ENTRY and EXIT points to the diagram.

Done. Attached, along with OmniGraffle source.

> Moreover, if we do not assume that the submitted VMs have to run
> immediately or not at all,  I would like to suggest that we need a "Pending"
> state in the diagram. The new submitted VMs remain in this state until there
> are resources available. That could be the "DEFINED" state or the DMTF
> "INITIAL" state.

"Pending" is ambiguous. "Resuming" is pending, so is "suspending". There's
various takes on "defined" and "initial" too... for example if you were to
implement something like the Q-Layer^WSun Cloud API web interface on top of
OCCI then you would likely start by creating and linking a bunch of objects,
none of which would be useful until associated with actual resources - it
would be like a shell/skeleton.

Perhaps this is something worth taking into consideration, though as I'd
rather not impose too much on implementors it probably belongs in the
registry.