[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API) - state model

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Apr 17 08:29:41 CDT 2009

On Fri, Apr 17, 2009 at 3:23 PM, Tino Vazquez <tinova at fdi.ucm.es> wrote:

> IMHO I think "migrating"  and/or "migrated" are states that doesn't
> make sense under the point of view of a Cloud API, this should be
> something internal completely transparent to the user. Also, I am not
> sure that we need the "copied" state. What does it mean exactly?
>
> Aside from that I kind of like the model. I would suggest adding a
> "suspending" state (or "saving" since it presumabley the VM is going
> to dump a snapshot) and also a "finished" state and "failed" state to
> handle errors.
>
> What do you think?

My dead tree version has states like:

STOPPED
RESTORING/STARTING
STARTED
SUSPENDING/STOPPING

It was derived (at least in part) from the Microsoft Virtual Server state
diagram <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa368893%28VS.85%29.aspx>.

As a user of cloud services giving sensible and consistent visual feedback
during the state changes is *very* important for the user experience.