[occi-wg] Nouns and Verbs (was: Syntax of OCCI API)

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Fri Apr 17 04:45:16 CDT 2009

Ok so moving right along...

I like the "resource" approach (thanks Andy) and it fits well with the
single entry point w/ search style (which in turn allows for arbitrarily
simple and complex environments ranging from 1 to many millions of
resources). These have a category/type (e.g. server, network, storage) and
content depending on that. You can of course ask for just one type or
another (e.g. query "servers" but not networks or storage) and we can do a
simple optimisation to bring this into line with existing APIs:

http://example.com/servers -> http://example.com/-/server
http://example.com/networks -> http://example.com/-/network
http://example.com/storage -> http://example.com/-/storage

I specifically don't like the idea of differentiating between physical and
virtual resources (the whole point is that you can't, or at least don't need
to, know the difference), but that's ok because I don't think it's
necessary. If I'm dealing with a "server" I don't care if it's delivered as
a slice, a VM or a physical machine so long as it meets my service level
agreement.... this is details for the implementor and one of the areas where
we need to allow them to innovate.

Ok so nouns and verbs (ignoring CRUD which is common anyway):

server:
 - start
 - stop
 - restart
 - deploy/undeploy? (comes back to persistent vs ephemeral etc.)
 - clone/snapshot?
network:
 - start (aka up)
 - stop (aka down)