[occi-wg] Syntax of OCCI API

Chris Webb chris.webb at elastichosts.com
Thu Apr 16 14:48:33 CDT 2009

Sam Johnston <samj at samj.net> writes:

> Agreed, but Richard was just saying "*I don't think that a separate object
> is needed here at all*". I can see where that point of view comes from for
> public clouds and maybe we can cater for both views by just assuming network
> interfaces mean "Internet" unless otherwise specified.

Ah, you see I have the advantage here in knowing what he meant because I'm
having the discussion with him directly! You'll notice he explicitly
mentioned VLAN ownership as a resource which exists independent of a running
guest, whereas a network configuration [== interface] does not.

We are well aware of the need for virtual networking as well as internet
facing interfaces. Customers ask for that quite frequently, as well as
interconnect between our 'virtual VLANs' and Cisco-style 802.1q VLANs that
can be brought out on a switch port to their physical machines.

> I've been steering clear of the term VLAN because it means something to
> network engineers (in the 802.1q tagging sense) - "virtual network" works
> for me.

Yes, it's probably a less overloaded term.

Cheers,

Chris.