[occi-wg] Syntax of OCCI API

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Thu Apr 16 05:49:34 CDT 2009

Quoting [Alexis Richardson] (Apr 16 2009):

> Chris,
>
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Chris Webb
> <chris.webb at elastichosts.com> wrote:
> > Alexis Richardson <alexis.richardson at gmail.com> writes:
> >
> >> From my own experience of designing AMQP (with others) a good practice
> >> here is to distinguish a core "MUST implement" set of operations that
> >> users might call frequently, which is then reserved from a possibly larger
> >> set of operations that are administrative, or address optional cases.
> >> Would you be comfortable with that?
> >
> > Yes. I think it's inevitable that not all features are available from all
> > providers. Even in our own API we have things which we have specified but
> > not yet implemented, such as drive snapshots.
> >
> > Off the top of my head, one could well imagine that stopped and suspended
> > guests, VLANs, static IPs, and drives taken as snapshots of other drives
> > might very well be functionality that some providers would expose and others
> > would not.
>
> Cool.
>
> Is it your view that:
>
> 1. These should NOT be described in the API
> 2. These should be described but in a 'non core' section of the API

3. these would be described in the API (core or non-core)
but would be marked 'Optional' (*)

Cheers, Andre.

(*) implementations would still be standard compliant if
they do not provide these optional methods, and flag a
respecitve error when these get called.

--
Nothing is ever easy.