[Nsi-wg] rfc8453

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Wed Jul 3 07:46:33 EDT 2019

Hi everyone

I don't this is anything new. At MPLSworld 2018 I saw at least 4-5
different re-implementations of NSI, most typically in the disguise of
providing WAN solutions for companies across multiple providers, and I've
seen this a couple of other places as well.

Cisco even has a decidecated product/service for this multi-provider WAN.
It was presented at Cisco NSO days in June this year. Presentation here:
https://community.cisco.com/t5/nso-developer-hub-documents/nso-devdays-2019-marcus-hacke-s-keynote-sd-wan-as-a-service/ta-p/3875913

Don't let the ngena label fool you, it's Cisco :-). This one in particular
requires buy-in on the Cisco XR and NSO platform to participate (as usual
Cisco is at the forefront of developing business models), but there other
solutions that are more vendor agnostic, but often the protocol isn't
particularly well-defined, as the solutions have been more goal focussed.

/Henrik

On Wed, 3 Jul 2019, Guy Roberts wrote:

> Hi NSI team,
>

> I see that IETF are doing something that looks rather like NSI.
> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc8453
>

> I recognise a couple of names in the contributor list at the end… Diego Lopez form Telefonica and
> Gert Grammel from Juniper. I think they are probably both aware of NSI.
>

> Has anyone from NSI tried to engage with the this group?
>

> Guy
>

> Guy Roberts PhD
>
> Senior Network Architect
>
> Tel: +44 (0)1223 371316
>
> Mob: +44 (0)7881 336417
>
> Skype: guy1965
>

> Networks • Services • People
>
> Learn more at www.geant.org​
>

> ​GÉANT Vereniging (Association) is registered with the Chamber of Commerce in Amsterdam with
> registration number 40535155 and operates in the UK as a branch of GÉANT Vereniging. Registered
> office: Hoekenrode 3, 1102BR Amsterdam, The Netherlands. UK branch address: City House, 126-130
> Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ, UK.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet