[Nsi-wg] Multi-domain SDN

Guy Roberts Guy.Roberts at geant.org
Mon Jul 4 08:47:13 EDT 2016

Hi All,

Here is the CERNET/Internet2 view on how to solve the inter-domain SDN problem: http://netarchlab.tsinghua.edu.cn/~junbi/IEEEComMag-2015.pdf

They are essentially proposing to use the ‘WE-bridge’ concept as a replacement of BGP.  I see a lot of similarities to NSI, including a ‘abstracted topology’ that is similar to the NSI topology.

I note also that they propose the WE-bridge should be able to exchange: “information such as OpenFlow version and number of the FlowTables on each node, link utilities, and flow entries, we extended the LLDP by adding an LLDP extension module.”

I did have in mind that the MOTE open call (that GÉANT funded UvA to work on) would look at similar questions, however their work ended up focusing on developing a solution to the topology distribution challenge (this proved to be useful input to the NSI standard).

I wonder if now would be a good time to start looking at flow-extensions to NSI?  I think we should be able to do this by extending the NML topology and creating a new NSI service definition for flow based services.

Any thoughts on this?

Guy

Guy Roberts PhD
Senior Transport Network Architect
Tel: +44 (0)1223 371316
Mob: +44 (0)7881 336417
Skype: guy1965

GÉANT
Networks • Services • People
Learn more at www.geant.org​<http://www.geant.org/>
​
GEANT Limited, trading as GÉANT. Registered in England & Wales. Registration Number 2806796. Registered Office – City House, 126-130 Hills Road, Cambridge CB2 1PQ