[Nsi-wg] Bidirectional Link (was Re: [AutoGole] Ports relations)

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Fri Sep 27 06:21:08 EDT 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

>> Hmm… that seems to be an unneeded artificial restriction.  I should be
>> able to build up my unidirectional topologies into other network
>> constructs based on my needs.  Saying you can only have unidirectional
>> topology is like saying you can paint as much art as you want but only
>> using black.

Agreed 100%.

While most things are unidirectional at the bottom (there are exceptions
like true ethers), some equipment can only be controlled from a
bidirectional point of view (say, most switches). They are by all
accounts bidirectional as that is what can be controlled.

> As soon as we would add this construct everyone would just use NML to
> construct bidirectional topologies, and leaving out the unidirectional
> part. Then if the need ever arises to do asymmetrical, unidirectional,
> or disjoint return paths, then you can't because everyone is using
> bidirectional constructs.

If everyone could just buy ready-made cars, no-one would assemble their
own cars or build weird 7-cylinder combustion engines, and very few people
would even know how a car worked.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet