[Nsi-wg] Cannot specify range of VLAN identifiers in EVTS service

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Mon Sep 9 09:22:02 EDT 2013

Hi

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013, Hans Trompert wrote:

> In many cases the user wants to use a specific VLAN ID on a UNI so in
> these cases this will  not hurt, but in all other cases this will move
> the problem of selecting a usable VLAN ID to the user (application).

For user termination points, I do not think this will be a problem (and if
so, a small one).

However for transit links (as in demarcation points to other networks)
links, the VLANs are often a shared resource, where several are already
used. Furthermore, only a relatively small range of VLANs might be
available on such a link. Having the ability

E.g., the ndn-netherlight link, has some already allocated VLANs which are
in no way available, and we might restrict NSI links to a small range of
VLANs. Having the ability to say "any of those will do" is pretty handy.
This of course assume VLAN rewrite capability (but it is 2013).

> It also deprives path finders of the ability to implement some fancy
> VLAN ID selection algorithm and forces the PCE to just do trial and
> error for finding suitable VLAN IDs on all peering points.

Are you interpreting this as a good or bad thing?

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet