[Nsi-wg] Cannot specify range of VLAN identifiers in EVTS service

Hans Trompert hans.trompert at surfnet.nl
Mon Sep 9 08:35:01 EDT 2013

On 9/9/13 11:58 AM, Henrik Thostrup Jensen wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Sep 2013, John MacAuley wrote:
>
>> When we moved from using the label field in the STP for specifying
>> VLANs to the explicit VLAN element in the EVTS service element we
>> lost the ability to specify an acceptable range of VLAN identifiers.
>> Does anyone see an issue with this?
>
> As we do not currently have a way to indiciate which resource are used
> and not (and I don't having that would be a good idea), this can make
> it somewhat difficult to create paths when VLANs are sparse.

In many cases the user wants to use a specific VLAN ID on a UNI so in
these cases this will  not hurt, but in all other cases this will move
the problem of selecting a usable VLAN ID to the user (application).

It also deprives path finders of the ability to implement some fancy
VLAN ID selection algorithm and forces the PCE to just do trial and
error for finding suitable VLAN IDs on all peering points.

Cheers,
    HansT.