[Nsi-wg] Encoding & Labeltype

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu Oct 31 11:05:28 EDT 2013

On Thu, 31 Oct 2013, John MacAuley wrote:

> The label type that can be switched is placed in the encoding attribute
> of the switching service.

That is not how I understood Jeroens answer (or the NML spec), but I could
be wrong.

>From GFD.206 (the NML spec):

* The encoding attribute defines the format of the data streaming through the Port

* labeltype to refer to a technology-specific labelset, e.g. a URI for VLANs

Doesn't sound like the same. If the encoding is ethernet, there are
options for no label (trunk), vlan, and q-in-q (s-tag/c-tag). I could
imagine that certain types of labels might be available on different
encodings.

Currently we don't really use encodings in NML for NSI, but they can be
specified on port(groups) and link(groups).

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet