[Nsi-wg] Encoding & Labeltype

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu Oct 31 09:37:33 EDT 2013

Hi

On Wed, 30 Oct 2013, Jeroen van der Ham wrote:

> This is the decision regarding encoding and labeltype that was made for NML:
>
> https://forge.ogf.org/sf/sfmain/do/go/artf6577 :
>
>> NML has currently a one-to-one relation between the layer encoding (a
>> URI to define the layer of sublayer of a specific Port of Link) and the
>> label type (a URI to define the resource label of a technology).

Make sense. Thanks for clarifying the difference.

Right now we don't use the encoding in the NSI topology. Is this something
we should consider? I am not entirely sure what the benefits are though.

> There is not a one-to-one correlation, because encodings (such as
> Ethernet) still allow traffic without labels at all.

Shouldn't a switching service have an encoding AND a labelType? An
ethernet encoding could have both regular and VLAN and carrier ethernet
vlan (with q-in-q / s-tag+c-tag), and might only be capable of changing
one of them. How would I know which label types can be swapped?

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet