[Nsi-wg] NML Security Requirements

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Nov 14 13:31:14 EST 2013

Hi Henrik (and all) -

I too doubt that we can really differentiate topology announcements by
their "sensitivity".   I don't think we can control redistribution once
a topology is announced publicly.  If we announce more than one topology
(on the basis of supposed sensitivity) we have to consider what will
happen when a downstream agent leaks the information and other agents
encounter two or more topologies claiming to describe the same Service
Domain (or put another way - if *we* see two different topologies
pertaining to the same NSI service domain - what should our NSA do?)

First, it is critically important that any topology that is announced
(or encountered) be trustworthy- that we know firstly that it was indeed
announced by the NSI Network it represents and has not been tampered
with.   Which requires authentication, which implies a trusted service
or chain of authority.   We do not currently have a topology service
authority.    I think this is probably fairly easy to solve, but it
requires agreement and acceptance and someone to run the
authority(s).    However it is done, it needs to be addressed and
clearly defined so that we know our topology information came from a
legitimate source.

IMO, when you advertise a topology, it is no longer in your control.  It
becomes impossible to prevent someone from redistributing it or sharing
it downstream.   Thus differentiated announcements for a single service
domain would be pointless.

However, there may still be multiple topologies in circulation at any
time due to legitimate updates of the one topology and convergence
delays.  So, even though only one topology is /current/, there may be
multiple copies out there in circulation.

*IF* you feel there are features that need to be differentiated publicly
for some reason, then define different services.   And then annouce two
different service domains.   Since the NSI topology model represents
logical [service] domains - not physical infrastructure, many NSI
service domains can be easily defined and advertised to express
different topological capabilities.  The internal NRM can sort the local
engineering issues out under the covers.

So, I recommend the following rules as discussion points for topology
announcement/redistribution:
1. All topology announcements must be able to be authenticated.
2. Each Topology announcement is timestamped as to when it is in effect.
2a.   A topology should include a Time-to-Live and/or an Expiration Date (?)
3. Only complete topologies are announced.  I.e. A topology announcement
comprises the entire and complete topology that is officially publicly
available for a given NSI Service Domain.  ( No partial announcements or
"updates" are defined at this stage.)
4. All topologies should be authenticated before they are used. The
authenticating server should indicate whether the announcement is
authentic and if it is current. (i.e. should a stale topology be
authenticated?)
4.5 If two announcements for the same NSI Service Domain are
encountered, only the latest announcement is considered "current" and is
the only topology that should be used.
5. A NSI Service Domain should announce only one _/current /_topology.
And an NSI Service Domain should always announce a new topology if/when
the announced topology has changed.
6. The minimum required topology that a NSI Service Domain *must*
announce is:
     a. the NSI Network Service Domain Identifier  (i.e. the <networkId>)
     b. the NSA that speaks for the domain
     c.. the SDPs this domain shares with neighbor domains in the data
plane.
     d. a pointer to the Service Definition document that describes the
Service Type of the domain.
     All other topology information is optional.
7. A topology server may announce *any* topology.   It is up to the
receiving agent to authenticate the announcements associated with
different service domains before using them.
8. An "Announcement" is posted publicly and may be a) pulled down by
clients, or b) pushed to clients who have registered for updates.

THoughts?
Jerry