[Nsi-wg] This one slipped through

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu May 16 07:43:50 EDT 2013

On Wed, 15 May 2013, John MacAuley wrote:

> This issue slipped through.  My fault as I took the action to fix it.
> This is to added a terminated reason.  Read the discussion and tell me
> if you think this is still needed with all the changes we have done to
> the state machine.  The RA always terminates the state machine.
>
> https://code.google.com/p/ogf-nsi-project/issues/detail?id=48

I'll bite.

I think there is an issue when querying as is it not possible to tell
start time has not passed or end time has passed. Comparing start and end
time with the local clock is a possibility and is likely to work most of
the time. Still I think it is problematic that it is not possible to
represent this with the state machine.

One possibility is to add a new LSM state named "Ended" or similar, which
indicates that the termination ended (which is different from terminated,
as moving to terminate now requires explicit action). It might be
possible to move from "Ended" to "Terminating", by issuing a terminate
request.

Bonus questions:

Do we allow modify after end time has passed?
- This can of course be site-specific (but in that case the answer is yes
   as we allow it at protocol level).

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet