[Nsi-wg] Issue 98 in ogf-nsi-project: Decouple service specific schema from NSI-CS core schema

ogf-nsi-project at googlecode.com ogf-nsi-project at googlecode.com
Fri Jul 26 11:04:47 EDT 2013

Owner: jmacauley
Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium FoundInVersion-2.0 FixedInVersion-2.0

New issue 98 by jmacauley: Decouple service specific schema from NSI-CS
core schema
http://code.google.com/p/ogf-nsi-project/issues/detail?id=98

Description of Issue:

See document "NSI-CS Service Decoupling v5", July 26th, 2013 for in-depth
discussion of issue and agreed solution.

In NSI CS version 1.x and 2.0 only unidirectional and bidirectional
point-to-point services are offered as part of the protocol. In fact, the
NSI working group violated most common protocol design principles by hard
coding the service offering directly into the core protocol specification,
when in fact, the NSI CS protocol was meant to support many service types.

Discussion of Issue:

Our primary goal should be to remove the dependencies of service
specification from the core NSI CS protocol. This will allow the existing
NSI CS protocol to remain stable while permitting changes to the services
offered by NSA within the network. Fortunately, with XML and a small change
to the structure of our existing NSI CS protocol we can achieve this exact
behavior.

Resolution of Issue:

The proposal is to remove the point-to-point specific bandwidth, path
elements from the criteria element and place them into a separate service
specific schema definition with its own dedicated namespace, and add an ANY
child element to the criteria element to allow generic inclusion of
external service specifications. With this new ANY child element we also
remove the need for the serviceAttributes element as the capability is
incorporated into the base criteria element.