[Nsi-wg] Reserved State Machine

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Thu Apr 25 07:09:30 EDT 2013

Hi

I think some of the confusion around the Reservation State Machine (RSM)
comes from that a connection can have multiple revisions and that each
revision can actually go through the states. This makes it very tricky to
have a state machine that works across multiple revisions.

A better approach might be to have an RSM per revision. I have attached a
PDF of how I think such a state machine could look. Reserve_Aborted is now
a stable state, indicating that the revision has failed. A new revision
can be started from all stable states.

This makes it very clear where each revision is in its lifecycle.

There could be a state after Reserve_Committed to indicate that the
reservation has been superseeded by a new revision, but since we probably
wouldn't expose that, I don't think it is strictly needed.

The Provision State Machine (PSM) and Lifecycle State Machine (LSM) should
be per connection.

On a side note: I think having 2PC will create more problems than it
solves, as getting that to work in a multi-domain environment is going to
be very tricky.

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet