[Nsi-wg] Fwd: Re: uml proposal for STPs path object specifications...

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Mon Sep 10 17:09:47 EDT 2012

On 9/10/12 5:48 AM, Guy Roberts wrote:

> Jeroen,
>
> "IMO, what we need to do is provide a single forward path ERO.   And
> if the request is for a bi-directional service instance, then that
> service provider identifies the appropriate reverse path for the
> "bi-directional connection".   If the requester specifies the forward
> and reverese path, then it is just two uni-directional service
> requests.   And if so, then we should just do two requests so that the
> user has the ability to define the two paths independently."
>
> This is a simple and quite elegant solution, but I have a strong
> concern with this approach as it forces providers to describe their
> topology using a network modelling method where all STPs map to
> unidirectional STPs (exclusive use of bi-directional STPs would not be
> allowed) .  This is quite a severe constraint for transmission
> equipment as ITU-T MIB models do not include uni-directional ports as
> part of their model.
>
> Guy

Hi Guy-

So here is a good point for NSI's technology agnostics. Whether some
specific technology may or may not be accessible in a uni-directed or
bi-directed fashion should not impose a requirement on NSI.   If we
elect to have NSI support STPs of one form or the other, or both, we
leave it to the NRM to translate the NSI primitive appropriately to
construct a service instance across the local intra-domain hardware that
is consistent with the NSI service request.    NSI should do what we
deem best for the global inter-domain service framework - and let
specific NRMs translate that abstract service model to specific hardware
confiogurations.

A very similar situation exists where a network implements what appears
to be a VLAN service across say, an MPLS or SDH hardware infrastructure
- the hardware configuration is resolved by the NRM not by NSI.   Just
because the service presents something that looks and feels like a VLAN
to the user does not require that the instance is actually realized
across ethernet hardware.

So, even if some hardware can only support bi-directed configuration,
that does not impose a requirement that NSI must support bi-directed
STPs.   (vice versa is true too - if NSI supports bi-directed
connections only does not mean that only hardware that supports
bi-directional configuration must be used...)   This is why it is
important to maintain technology agnostics.

And further - even if we allow and support bi-directed STPs in NSI, does
not mean that we should not support uni-directed connections across
those STPs.   A unidirectional request does not impose any requirements
upon a reverse path - so a NRM could allocate the reverse path however
it chose, or it could not, or ...  We simply leave it to the NRM to
decide how to put a uni-directed path across their STPs.

I recommend that NSI recognize both Bi-directed STPs and Uni-directed STPs.

NSI leaves it to the local network to decide whether to advertise their
STPs as bi-directional or uni-directional. (Note- this does not require
a network to expose any other hardware specifi details, nor does it
require a network advertise anything more than we have already
discussed.)   This just says that *IF* you advertise an STP, you need to
declare it bi-directional or uni-directional.

I also recommend that NSI Reservation Requests now implement
"directionality": uni-directional connection, or bi-directional
connection.   The path object is always considered to be the forward
path only.

I also recommend that if we agree that NSI supports bi-directional STPs,
then we must also define the following "orientation" attribute for STP