[Nsi-wg] Summarization of ERO discussion

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Thu Jun 7 18:56:19 EDT 2012

Hi John-

See comments below - And I will add a slide as you suggest.   "A slide
is worth a thousand words." :-)

Jerry

On 6/7/12 4:24 PM, John MacAuley wrote:
> Guys,
>
> Two questions:
>
> 1. Should we not include a an example where we model an originating
> and end "user" domain such that we need to start with a ".out" endpoint?
If the user STP is defined to be "outbound" in the topology description,
then the reservation request and path finding will work fine.  Path
finders will need to heed the STP orientation, but this is a simple
check.   The STP attributes determine how the path must be oriented.

Given this scenario and the topologically specified orientation, there
is obviously an SDP defined for "userdomain:A" == "firsthopnet:A"
between the two domains.  A connection request could specify the ingress
STP two different ways:  as "userdomain:A" (defined to be outbound in
the user topology), or as "Firsthopnet:A" (defined as inbound in the
first hop network topology).   Both requests generate the same data
plane path, the same ingress orientation, etc., but they [could]
generate different service trees.  The Connection request that
references Userdomain:A as ingress would imply that the NSA for
"Userdomain" must be contacted with a null segment (basically letting it
know there is a connection being terminated on their doorstep.)  The
first real segment would be across "Firsthopnet" network.    A different
connection request that references Firsthopnet:A as the ingress STP
would only contact Firsthopnet NSA, and Userdomain would never be aware
anthing upstream.  Thus, we can implement Chin's request for user domain
notification.

If however, we solve the STP path orientation by using dual STPs in the
Reservation request, then we first need to have dual STP specifications
for all elements of the Reservation - including the source and
destination (!)  (a  unitary STP for source or destination in a tree
segmentation could be ambiguous.)  Further, the Query rollup would have
to also indicate dual STPs to fully describe paths.   Since both STPs
are used for all hops in this fashion, there is no way indicate whether
or not the Userdomain NSA is to be contacted.   Thus Chin's request is
problematic.

Finally - and this _/really REALLY sucks/_ about dual STP references:
Reservation requests will require *both* STPs associated with an
endpoint (or an ERO intermediate hop.)   Thus if "Firsthopnet" network
changes their STP names, all connections requests to the adjacent
Userdoman:A terminus will no longer work - _/they can no longer reach
those destination with the same STP name. !!/_!   This means that no one
will be able to independently name their own endpoints and everyone will
need to look up STPs in both networks - and same for every ERO hop!

DualSTPs/SDPs in a Reservation request to solve the path orientation
issue are a Bad Idea.

> 2. Do we want to make this technology safe, or just sold the
> bi-directional point-to-point solution at the moment?  Should we look
> at point to multi-point, etc.?
IMO, we need to solve the path ambiguity issue posed by bi-directional
STPs.    This is critical.   If we do not solve this properly it will
prevent tree segmentation altogether.    But this is a separate issue
from ERO specification.   ERO specification becomes simple if we have
resolved path orientation issue using topological attributes of the STP
- the ERO becomes a simple a list of unitary STPs.

P2MP is complex because it introduces multicast/broadcast functions into
the topology and connection model and adds substantial complexity to
path finding.  Further, there are technical issues associated with P2MP
as uni-directional vs bi-directional service instances.   I suggest this
be a v3.0 feature.

Hope this helps!
Jerry