[Nsi-wg] STP

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Jan 4 08:53:06 EST 2012

My observations...

Without putting words in Tomohiro's mouth, the syntax he describes here
does not change the localid as an opaque string.   As an opaque string,
the local network is free to define that string to be whatever they
like. Anything.   As I understand his proposal, this opaque localid
string is preserved - he simply proposes a syntax to enumerate a set of
such strings.   His proposal will not change the definition of the STP
as a 2-tuple, but it will change the *interpretation* of the protocol
field in which such constructs appear.   So, the primitives would need
to now recognize the  SourceSTP field (for instance) as a *set* of one
or more STPs rather than a single STP, and be able to parse the field to
construct that set accordingly.

I think both Tomohiro's string enumeration proposal and Freek's
topological group specification have merit and relevance to the topic.
But I would assert that there is another approach to consider:  a
grammar for specifying constraints on the reservation generally, or at
least specifically for the Source/Dest STP fields.    Think of
specifying the constraints in a grammar that matched the topology
representation.   For instance "select STP where STP.Capacity>9.6Gbps
and STP.connectedTo->STP.network="X";"  or we could use RDF style
semantic assertions ala "? connectedTo X".

Given the postings, I think there are two rather separate issues we
should discuss:
1) How and where *constraint specifications* need to be enhanced to
support more powerful CS primitives, and
2) how to efficiently represent large scale enumerated constructs in the
topology.

I think first discussion should be:   In order to define a "Set" field
constraint for SourceSTP and/or DestSTP in a reservation request (or
other attributes), how should such a "set" constraint be represented in
the primitive message field?
     a) Should it take the form of a single STP but place syntactic
constructs in the localid string meant to enumerate a set of strings,
and by doing so, define a protocol "set" of STPs?
     b) Or would a topological construct that groups STPs be a more
appropriate semantic for indicating a particular set of STPs?
     c) Or should some broader still grammar be conceived that would
allow us to apply more sophisticated constraints over a set of STPs to
isolate a target [sub]set?
     d) Or a combination/all of the above?

(a) works ok for specific instances where string constructs can indicate
a set.  It is simple and would be useful where names convey the
constraints.   But many constraint sets may not be selected by naming
convention alone- they might, for instance, be selected by topological
adjacency (e.g. "any STP in network Y that is adjacent to network X")

(b) implicitly allows us to identify classes of STPs in the topology and
would be very useful for relating certain common characteristics
topologically - e.g. "these STPs all share the same link capacity", or
"these STPs all have the same 802.1Q tag".   However, for *constraint
specification* this requires that the topology express any/all possible
[STP] constraints as a topological object instance...this is arguably
hard to anticipate.   Topological groupings are (IMO) more useful for
describing defacto resource relationships rather than anticipated
constraint specifications, but where a topological object does indeed
capture a constraint (e.g. "any STP in Network X") using that
topological object ought to be semantically allowed.

(c) Constraint specification grammar could allow powerful specification
"any STPs in network X adjacent to network Y with 10Gbps link capacity"
that allows an RA to specify any attribute or value they know about to
set the constraints.    This also implies a "constraint specification
grammar" imbedded in the reservation parameters, but this is not be so
difficult - for instance SQL could be used, or a Semantic predicate
grammar...

d) all are useful for constrained STP matching and other things, and
seem to be non-conflicting...,    I would suggest they can co-exist.

Regards
Jerry