[Nsi-wg] Agenda for NSI workshop in Oxford

Jerry Sobieski jerry at nordu.net
Wed Feb 22 06:28:36 EST 2012

Several topics I'd like to see on the agenda for V2:

--- Related to control plane topology is _topology distribution in
general_.   Given that some agents will not have a NSI trust relation
with others, how do we envision NSAs learning topology?   IMO, need to
me up with some basic NSI requirements/objectives, and then a reasonable
general approach (details can be worked out later).   This is important
in that it will have a bearing on what local domains will be responsible
for managing.   The topology management task in general needs to be
delegated to the domains themselves - the sooner the better as we will
see more early adopters over coming 12 months.

--- I would also like to broach the issue of _uni-directional
connections_ and how we might approach these and the issue of
_point-to-multipoint connections_ in V2.

--- We have discussed the STP naming extensions, which addresses some
issues in enumeration of STPs and SDPs.  But we have not worked through
the _"any point" specification/semantics in the ReservationRequest
primitive_.  Relaxing the single point constraint on the end points is
key to resolving some of the exhaustive search issues when hunting for
intermediate transit points.

--- I think we need a better and more _generally applicable solution to
the NAT problem_.  Fundamentally,  the NSI high level protocol should be
able to send messages back and forth to recognized NSAs at will,
regardless of their NAT situation.  If a RA NSA can send an unsolicited
NSI message to a PA NSA, then the PA should be able to do likewise to
the RA NSA.  The NAT issue affects messaging both ways and should not be
an NSI concern.  I think there are ways to address this situation that
may not need NSI protocol machinations - and may not require MTL special
handling either.  Maybe this is part of the UNI discussion?

Thanks!
Jerry