[Nsi-wg] Some questions/remarks on the v2 connection wsdl

Henrik Thostrup Jensen htj at nordu.net
Wed Dec 12 10:20:25 EST 2012

On Wed, 12 Dec 2012, John MacAuley wrote:

> I had an internal discussion here in Ottawa with my dogs on this exact
> topic a few months ago when I defined the header.

:-)

> We argued for both including and excluding the version field within the
> header.  What swayed me to include it was the concept that if we removed
> SOAP from the equation, and wanted to continue using the XML schema,
> then a header with version number let the protocol contents exist
> independent of the SOAP action.

OK, that at least makes sense. However a new protocol will probably mean
changes anyway, as the current messaging scheme as highly based on RPC.
Also, in some protocols, say HTTP, this is handled with mime-types.

Is there are a urn for what the value should be?

> Additionally, the HTTP SOAP action field if 100% optional and I only
> provided it in the SOAP binding to make it easier for .NET clients to
> use (Microsoft requires the action field by default).

>From section 6.1.1 in SOAP 1.1 spec:

"An HTTP client MUST use this header field when issuing a SOAP HTTP
Request."

     Best regards, Henrik

  Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net>
  Software Developer, NORDUnet