[Nsi-wg] Some questions/remarks on the v2 connection wsdl

John MacAuley john.macauley at surfnet.nl
Wed Dec 12 09:59:11 EST 2012

On 2012-12-05, at 9:46 AM, Henrik Thostrup Jensen <htj at nordu.net> wrote:

> Questions:
>
> Why do we need protocol version in Header? Isn't this already contained in SOAP action?
>
> Do we really need a file ( ogf_nsi_framework_headers_v2_0.xsd ) for one type? Not really important, just seemed like overkill.

1) SOAP Action

I had an internal discussion here in Ottawa with my dogs on this exact topic a few months ago when I defined the header.  We argued for both including and excluding the version field within the header.  What swayed me to include it was the concept that if we removed SOAP from the equation, and wanted to continue using the XML schema, then a header with version number let the protocol contents exist independent of the SOAP action.  Additionally, the HTTP SOAP action field if 100% optional and I only provided it in the SOAP binding to make it easier for .NET clients to use (Microsoft requires the action field by default).

2) I separated the header types into a separate file so that it could be reused by the Discovery Service, Connection Service, and hopefully a future Topology Service.  I recently removed the use from Discovery, but I think the separation of concerns is still good.  The header schema will not need to change with changes in any of the individual protocols.